Keep California Beautiful: Join the Proud Community Program
Keep California Beautiful (KCB), an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, is a nonprofit environmental organization established in 1990. KCB’s goals are to promote litter prevention, recycling and beautification by developing public-private partnerships at the state level as a way to provide necessary resources to local communities.
To encourage more local agency participation in its anti-litter efforts, KCB developed the Proud Community Program in 1998 as the primary way for cities and other communities to become involved with the organization. The Proud Community Program helps cities focus on implementing successful litter prevention programs, accountability and recognition, with help from a network of other cities that have common issues and concerns.
By becoming a Proud Community, cities make a commitment to initiate litter prevention strategies in their communities. KCB provides members with resources and assistance in mobilizing volunteers and conducting workshops to support their efforts to combat litter one city at a time. With more than 100 member municipalities in the Proud Community Program, your city stands to gain from the networking opportunities, expertise, knowledge and proven experience that each member brings to the program.
Program Goals and Benefits
The goals of the Proud Community Program include:
- Increasing community interest in beverage container recycling, litter prevention and beautification programs;
- Sharing statewide resources with local communities;
- Encouraging and assisting communities to become registered affiliates with the Keep America Beautiful program; and
- Providing recognition of environmental accomplishments through an awards program. Benefits of the program include:
- Participation in KCB’s grant program;
- Access to resources for conducting beverage container recycling, clean-up events and beautification projects;
- The opportunity to participate in the Proud Community Sign Program;
- Access to a network of other Proud Communities through information exchanges, workshops and an e-mail listserv; and
- Assistance in mobilizing volunteers for participation in community events.
KCB designates the title of Proud Community to cities or nonprofit organizations that fulfill program requirements, including an annual fee of $200, attendance at a minimum of one of the quarterly workshops annually, and a completed Proud Community summary of activities form. To enroll in the Proud Commu nity Program, download the form from www.keepcaliforniabeautiful .org/getinvolved.html .
KCB and its Proud Community Program are making a positive difference environmentally by fostering pride and respect for California while preserving and enhancing our state’s beauty.
More information about KCB, including a list of cities that have become Proud Communities, is on the KCB website ( www.keepcaliforniabeautiful.org ).