Western City magazine is a monthly publication. Each month, the magazine features a different theme/topic and articles related to that theme. Information about the monthly themes is available in the editorial calendar, which is developed in advance for the calendar year.
In addition, the magazine has "standing" columns or features that appear regularly. These include:
- President’s Message (appears every other month)
- Executive Director’s Message (alternates with the President’s Message)
- City Forum (appears every month)
- Legal Notes (appears every other month)
- Everyday Ethics for Local Officials (alternates with Legal Notes)
- Sustainable Cities (appears every other month)
- News from the Institute for Local Government (appears every other month)
- On the Record (appears every other month)
The magazine also publishes articles about cities that have won a Helen Putnam Award for Excellence. This award program, sponsored by the League, recognizes outstanding city projects in a broad range of subject areas.