Post a Job
The City of Concord invites qualified applicants to apply for our Planning Manager position.
To view the detailed Planning Manager job brochure, please click here:
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE AT:
Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Plans, organizes, leads and controls the work of professional, technical, and clerical staff which:
Administer permit processes, such as development plans for conformity to various laws, regulations, standards, and procedures.
Administer planning processes, such as research culminating in recommendations regarding General Plan elements, specific area plans, property annexations, and related municipal ordinances, policies, procedures, standards, and regulations.
Administer compliance with development permits relating to residential, business and public buildings.
Administers specialized City programs, such as those that are grant supported.
2. Represents City interests regarding plans, designs, programs, or major projects in discussions and coordination with the public, special interest groups, and other governmental agencies; coordinates activities with other City work units; acts to clarify and interpret ordinances, policies, procedures, alternatives, and solutions.
3. Renders professional and managerial advice and decisions regarding short and long-term program goals, personnel assignments, work priorities, and resource needs; ensures that objectives are accomplished within authorized budget allocations.
4. As assigned, represents the City before the City Planning Commission, City Council, Design Review Board, developers, citizens' groups, and other organizations.
5. Serves as Secretary to the Planning Commission, and renders decisions on land use permit applications as the City’s Zoning Administrator
6. Coordinates the planning division function with other Permit Center managers regarding permitting procedures and processes.
7. Confers with the Department Head and various public groups, other agencies, and utilities regarding issues, alternatives, proposals, priorities, and operating problems.
8. Determines, recommends, and justifies goals of assigned programs and related financial and personnel resource needs; is responsible for accomplishment of goals; and accounts for the effective use of all resources within authorized allocations.
9. Applies Federal, State, and local laws, policies, procedures, regulations, and rules pertaining to the work and to the work group; prepares work appraisals and discusses performance evaluations; and initiates official disciplinary actions as necessary; identifies and/or resolves subordinate complaints.
10. Coordinates the division's activities with other City work units, other agencies and City goals; ensuring understanding of the division's roles, capabilities, and limitations.
11. As assigned, assumes the responsibilities as head of the Planning and Economic/Redevelopment Department.
12. Promotes the City’s Mission to make Concord a city of the highest quality by providing responsive, cost-effective, and innovative government services; understands and subscribes to the Vision and Values Statement adopted by the City.
13. Performs other work as assigned.
Desirable Qualifications, Knowledge, and Abilities
Ability to perform varied and responsible assignments with considerable independence, initiative, and judgment; to effectively supervise, coordinate, and review the work of various Planning levels; to perform original research, including the collection, analysis, and preparation of reports and recommendations pertaining to complex issues; to accurately interpret laws, ordinances, regulations, maps, specifications, site and building plans, graphs, and statistical data; to direct the preparation of visual displays, such as maps, graphs, and illustrations; to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to issue clear oral and written instructions; and to establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public or business administration, or related field is also required. A master’s degree and AICP certification is highly desirable. Advanced leadership training and education will be thoughtfully evaluated.
Experience: Six (6) years progressively responsible professional planning experience, including supervision of Planning staff involved in General Plan, zoning, or development services. A minimum of three (3) years of experience administering a planning division, or managing a current or long-range planning program is required.
Candidates should have extensive experience in hiring, evaluating and counseling employees. They should also have direct experience in preparing and administering budgets and demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of public sector budgets. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
Candidates should have experience working collaboratively with other divisions, city departments, the community, and regional agencies to accomplish comprehensive goals and resolve challenges. Candidates should also have a proven track record of proactively improving upon customer service and an understanding and mastery of technology tools used to enhance effectiveness in service and employee performance.
Contact: Cristina Albers
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manages Others: no
Deadline Information: ASAP
Salary Range: 107,536 - 147,867
Benefits: Health Insurance – City provides PERS Health, which includes a variety of plans from which to choose. Concord currently pays a portion of the Kaiser rate for employees and their eligible dependents. Employees will contribute 50% of future increases or decreases in the Kaiser rate. A cash benefit may be paid in lieu of coverage if candidate has coverage from another source.
Job Duration/Time: Full-time
County: Contra Costa
Application/Flyer: Download Planning Manager - City of Concord (1495 kbytes)